The future of the market of prebiotics is highly favorable and bright. Several manufacturers of food ingredients and food processing industries are strategizing in order to capitalize and monetize the growing demand for healthy and safe food products. There is a blatant rise in the popularity of health-related food and foods with low calories, more prebiotics, and enzymes. The functional food market is using prebiotic food components as a main factor in end-products such as bakery products, nutrition bars, dairy products, beverages, health drinks, breakfast cereals, meat products, mineral supplements, weight loss products, green foods, infant food, and pet food.
What Are Prebiotics And How Do They Function?
- Prebiotics can be understood as food which is non-digestible and is responsible for stimulation of growth-related processes in species of many types of bacteria in the gut which ultimately benefits the host.
- An increase in consumer awareness towards health, rising demand for nutritious food as well as a thorough focus on the need for healthy ingredients in the diet are major driving forces in the prebiotics market trends. The European market is driving the industrial prebiotics growth across the globe. Nations such as Finland, Sweden, and Ireland are making a significant impact on the innovation and application of prebiotics in various consumer products.
- Food components such as meat products and snacks are being exported to the U.S. markets which is recently identified as the largest market for probiotics. Additionally, products which have the component of fructose is high in demand and is rapidly gaining popularity in the U.S.
Global Scenario Of The Prebiotics Market And Prominent Trends
- More and more people are opting for a diet which has more fiber, fructose, fewer calories, and more health-friendly enzymes. Since there is a growth in obesity across the world and its related problems, doctors are recommending patients to have prebiotics-friendly products. Innovation in prebiotics is now ensuring calorie burn along with providing nutrition to the body.
- According to the market segmentation, the market for prebiotics can be fragmented to food products being chewable, powders, fluids, and other substances such as capsules, and sprays. The sources of the prebiotic market can be categorized into fruits, grains, vegetables, chicory root, and nuts.
- As per the ingredients, the market can be classified into galacto-oligosaccharide (GOS), fructo-oligosaccharide (FOS), inulin, and mannan-oligosaccharides (MOS). The prebiotics finds applications in products pertaining to animal feed, food & beverage, as well as dietary supplements. Sub-segments of food products such as cereals, baked food, and fermented meat products also have prebiotic components. Dietary supplements such as nutritional supplements, food products for infants and supplements for sportspersons factor in a prebiotic element.
The prebiotic market is foreseen to have a wide variety of applications in the food and beverage industries as well as in pharmaceutical sectors. This enables its use across a variety of industry verticals. Regions of the Middle East, North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Latin America are a worthwhile market asset for established players as well as for startup organizations dealing with prebiotic manufacturing and distribution.